Saturday, January 28, 2012

www.hashguam.com on Mount LamLam of Guam


The above website is not all that fancy but can give you an idea of what I did last night! What a crazy time I had last night on my first Hash. The jist of it is that you drink, run a hike in the jungle of Guam and drink some more and hope not to get lost or left behind! The hike is different every time and two "hares" get a 10 minute head start to run a race they set up themselves. They mark the trail with biodegradable tape and flour (who knows why) and then it is a race to the end. I participated in my first (and probably last) hash last night, minus the drinking. I stuck with water and a celebratory soda afterwords! Plus a big plate of fried rice to post carb load! Don't get me wrong, I had a fun time but I don't want to risk getting hurt just 4 weeks before departure!
This was at the top of the mountain. The story goes that every Good Friday the people of Guam (a very Catholic Island) have a procession to the top of this mountain carrying a cross and reenacting the crucifixtion of Jesus Christ. There is an actual path that is not too difficult to follow but during the Hash we did not follow the true path. I wanted to go to the top of this mountain before I left so last night I killed two birds with one stone, a hash and get to the top of Mount Lamlam. 
I have never been so muddy and so stinky in all my life. The whole way down the mountain was a butt slide down mud. I have never been on a mud slide before, I've had the drink called mud slide and I've enjoyed it but never slid down a mountain on my butt down the mud. It was fun, but scary, the only thing that stopped you was a cluster of tall grass and then you take a few steps to the left and slide some more. I am so thankful I did not break or twist anything! I think I was one of the last people down the mountain but I was with 3 other women so I wasn't alone. Last but NOT least!This is the beginning of the post party, but as I said, I just got a drink and a snack and went out to dinner with my friends...maybe we should start something like this in Saint Charles!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a great time! A little messy, but fun!

    ReplyDelete